Visualizzazioni totali

sabato 5 novembre 2016

Gerry and the Pacemakers 1959/1966

Gerry and the Pacemakers

Gerry and the Pacemakers è stato un gruppo musicale rock britannico, popolare durante gli anni sessanta, assimilabile a gruppi analoghi come The Zombies, The Searchers, The Kinks, The Kingsmen, The Yardbirds.
Gruppo della British invasion formatosi a Liverpool nel 1959, si sciolse nel 1966; il loro genere musicale variava dal merseybeat, al rock, al pop.
Gerry and the Pacemakers riuscirono a raggiungere il primo posto in classifica in Gran Bretagna con i primi tre singoli consecutivi pubblicati. Il primato fu eguagliato solo diversi anni dopo dal gruppo Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
Nel 1964 sono stati ospiti nella trasmissione televisiva Top of the Pops.

Storia

Il complesso fu fondato per iniziativa di giovani musicisti che cominciavano a sviluppare le sonorità del merseybeat, la musica nata intorno ai dock portuali della Mersey che sarebbe poi sfociata nel rock morbido e suadente dei Beatles prima maniera. Gerry and the Pacemakers si esibirono nei locali del Merseyside incrociando al loro debutto i Beatles al Cavern nell'ottobre del 1960 e, come molti altri gruppi di Liverpool, anch'essi fecero la gavetta nei locali di Amburgo. Nel 1963 furono chiamati come gruppo di spalla nella tournée attraverso l'Inghilterra insieme ai Beatles e a Roy Orbison.
Entrati nella scuderia di Brian Epstein, il loro 45 giri di esordio e anche il loro primo successo fu How Do You Do It?, del 1963, una composizione che George Martin aveva proposto ai Beatles ma che questi avevano rifiutato perché avevano preferito uscire con Love Me Do, brano di loro composizione. Registrato da Gerry and the Pacemaker, il pezzo schizzò dritto al primo posto delle classifiche inglesi. Molte delle successive incisioni avrebbero ottenuto un successo di vendite tanto in Inghilterra quanto negli Stati Uniti.
In Europa il successo di Gerry and the Pacemakers fu alterno, forse perché il gruppo era troppo in anticipo rispetto alla grossa ondata della British invasion susseguente al grande successo "epocale" dei Beatles. In Francia come in Italia non ebbero in effetti una grande considerazione da parte della stampa specializzata dell'epoca.
Nel paese di origine sono comunque ricordati per Ferry 'Cross the Mersey e per il brano You'll Never Walk Alone, inno del Liverpool Football Club. Tra i loro successi figurano anche Summertime e The House of the Rising Sun, già portata al successo dal complesso The Animals.

 Photo of Gerry and the Pacemakers musical group in 1964 taken by a New York photographer. This appears to be their first trip to the United States, likely to appear on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Gerry and the Pacemakers were an English beat group prominent in the 1960s Merseybeat scene. In common with the Beatles, they came from Liverpool, were managed by Brian Epstein, and were recorded by George Martin.
They are most remembered for being the first act to reach number one in the UK Singles Chart with their first three single releases: "How Do You Do It?", "I Like It" and "You'll Never Walk Alone". This record was not equalled for 20 years, until the mid-1980s success of fellow Liverpool band Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Consequently, they stand as the second most successful pop group originating in Liverpool. Another of their most famous songs, "Ferry Cross the Mersey", refers to the River Mersey that flows into Liverpool.

History

Gerry Marsden formed the group in 1959 with his brother Fred, Les Chadwick and Arthur McMahon. They rivalled the Beatles early in their career, playing in the same areas of Hamburg, Germany and Liverpool. McMahon (known as Arthur Mack) was replaced on piano by Les Maguire around 1961. They are known to have rehearsed at Cammell Laird shipping yard at Birkenhead. The group's original name was Gerry Marsden and the Mars Bars, but they were forced to change this when the Mars Company, producers of the chocolate Mars Bar, complained.
The band was the second to sign with Brian Epstein, who later signed them with Columbia Records (a sister label to the Beatles' label Parlophone under EMI). They began recording in early 1963 with "How Do You Do It?", a song written by Mitch Murray, that Adam Faith had turned down and one that the Beatles chose not to release (they did record the song but insisted on releasing their own song, "Please Please Me"). The song was produced by George Martin and became a number one hit in the UK, the first by an Epstein Liverpool group to achieve this on all charts, until being replaced at the top by "From Me to You", the Beatles' third single.
Gerry and the Pacemakers' next two singles, Murray's "I Like It" and Rodgers and Hammerstein's "You'll Never Walk Alone", both also reached number one in the UK Singles Chart, the latter recorded instead of the Beatles' "Hello Little Girl", which went on to become the first hit for the Fourmost. "You'll Never Walk Alone" had been a favourite of Gerry Marsden's since seeing Carousel growing up. It quickly became the signature tune of Liverpool Football Club and, later, other sports teams around the world. The song remains a football anthem, there and elsewhere, inspired by Gerry Marsden's rendition rather than the Broadway original. The group narrowly missed a fourth consecutive number one when "I'm the One" was kept off the top spot for two weeks in February 1964 by fellow Liverpudlian's The Searchers "Needles and Pins".
Despite this early success, Gerry and the Pacemakers never had another number one single in the UK. Gerry Marsden began writing most of their songs, including "I'm the One","It's Gonna Be All Right" and "Ferry Cross the Mersey", as well as their first and biggest US hit, "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying", which peaked at No.4, and which Gerry Marsden initially gave to Decca recording artist Louise Cordet in 1963. She recorded the song (Decca F11824), but without commercial success. The song, written by all bandmembers, has also been covered by Les Carle, the Lettermen, Jackie DeShannon (This Is Jackie DeShannon album, 1965), José Feliciano, Dr. John, Rickie Lee Jones, Gloria Estefan (Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me album) among others. They also starred in an early 1965 film called Ferry Cross the Mersey (sometimes referred to as "Gerry and the Pacemakers' version of A Hard Day's Night"), for which Marsden wrote much of the soundtrack. The title song was revived in 1989 as a charity single for an appeal in response to the Hillsborough football crowd disaster, giving Marsden – in association with other Liverpool stars, including Paul McCartney and Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Holly Johnson – another British number one.
In the US, their recordings were released by the small New York City record label Laurie in 1963, with whom they issued four singles during 1963 without success (as listed below). When the Beatles broke through in January 1964, Laurie's next regular single release of "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying became a big hit and during 1964 Laurie coupled "How Do You Do It?" with "You'll Never Walk Alone" (Laurie 3261) and "I Like It" with "Jambalaya (On the Bayou)" (Laurie 3271) with some success.
By late 1965, their popularity was rapidly declining on both sides of the Atlantic. They disbanded in October 1966, with much of their latter recorded material never released in the UK.
Drummer Freddie Marsden, born Fredrick John Marsden, 23 November 1940, at 8 Menzies Street, Toxteth, Liverpool, died on 9 December 2006 in Southport, age 66.

Quotation

In 1963, Gerry Marsden was quoted as saying –
NME – August 1963




The group's New York arrival in 1964.
Photographer: Paul Schumach, Metropolitan Photo Service, New York City.

 

 

 

Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5_LQArLa0
Lyrics
When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your hearts
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your hearts
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
Written by Oscar Hammerstein Ii, Richard Rodgers • Copyright © Peermusic Publishing, Imagem Music Inc
Non Camminerai Mai Da Sola
Quando cammini nel bel mezzo di una tempesta
tieni bene la testa in alto
e non aver paura del buio
alla fine della tempesta,
c'è un cielo d'oro
e la dolce canzone d'argento cantata dall'allodola
cammina nel vento
cammina nella pioggia
anche se i tuoi sogni saranno sconvolti e scrollati
va avanti, va avanti con la speranza nel tuo cuore
e non camminerai mai da sola
non camminerai mai da sola
va avanti, va avanti con la speranza nel tuo cuore
e non camminerai mai da sola
non camminerai mai da sola


 


 

 

 

Gerry & The Pacemakers - Ferry Cross The Mersey (1965) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08083BNaYcA
 
Lyrics
Life goes on day after day
Hearts torn in every way
So ferry 'cross the Mersey
'Cause this land's the place I love
And here I'll stay
People they rush everywhere
Each with their own secret care
So ferry 'cross the Mersey
And always take me there
The place I love
People around every corner
They seem to smile and say
We don't care what your name is boy
We'll never turn you away
So I'll continue to say
Here I always will stay
So ferry 'cross the Mersey'
Cause this land's the place I love
And here I'll stay
And here I'll stay
Here I'll stay
Written by Gerard Marsden • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group


 

 

 

 Gerry and the Pacemakers - Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Oo7nCF6Iw

Lyrics
Don't let the sun catch you cryin' The night's the time for all your tears Your heart may be broken tonight But tomorrow in the morning light Don't let the sun catch you cryin' The night-time shadows disappear And with them go all your tears For the morning will bring joy For every girl and boy So don't let the sun catch you cryin' We know that cryin's not a bad thing But stop your cryin' when the birds sing It may be hard to discover That you've been left for another But don't forget that love's a game And it can always come again Oh don't let the sun catch you cryin' Don't let the sun catch you cryin', oh no Oh, oh, oh
Written by Fred Marsden, Gerry Marsden, Les Chadwick, Patrick Maguire • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group
 
 
 

Risultati di ricerca

 

 

 

Gerry and the Pacemakers - How do you do it (HQ Audio) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQD-m2AQoXc
 
 
Lyrics
How do you do what you do to me,
I wish i knew,
If i knew how you do it to me, I'd do it to you,
How do you do what you do to me,
I'm feelin' blue,
Wish I knew how you do it to me but I haven't a clue
You give me a feeling in my heart,
Like an arrow passing through it,
Spose that you think you're very smart,
But won't you tell me how do you do it
How do you do what you do to me,
If I only knew,
Then perhaps you'd fall for me like I fell for you
You give me a feeling in my heart,
Like an arrow passing through it,
Spose that you think you're very smart,
But won't you tell me how do you do it
How do you do what you do to me,
If I only knew,
Then perhaps you'd fall for me like I fell for you,
When I do it to you
Written by Mitch Murray • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group
 

 

 

GERRY & THE PACEMAKERS - 1964 - "I Like It" - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77T3LCZr0ks
I like it, I like it I like the way you run your fingers through my hair and I love the way you tickle my chin and
 I like the way you let me come in when your mommy's not there I like it, I like it I like the things you say and
 all the things you do and I like the way you straighten my tie and I like the way you're winking your eye and 
I know I like you and I know I like you Do that again you're driving me insane kiss me once more that's
 another thing I like you for I like it, I like it I like the funny feelings when I'm with you and I like you more
 with every day and I like to always hearing you say you're liking it too you're liking it too Do that again you're
 driving me insane kiss me once more that's another thing I like you for I like it, I like it I like the funny feelings 
when I'm with you with every day and I like to always hearing you say you're liking it too you're liking it too 
whoa, I like it are you liking it too? 



 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento